So here it is... my first teeny tiny footsteps into the big world of the Strobist and using the now world renowned Nikon SB.
The kit i used for the shoot was my own Nikon D80 and tripod. The SB's i used were both from college, one being the brand new SB-900 and it's predecessor SB-800. Also on hand was a Workmate workbench on which i positioned the SB-900 and a snoot made from a rolled up newspaper.
I'll be the first to admit that the pictures are far from perfect, but for my first time, i don't think that i did too bad.
If i were to do it again, first of all I'd give myself more time to do it. Also i'd iron out some of the problems with the criss-crossing shadows and in some cases, a lack of shadows, making it appear as though my model was floating, as opposed to jumping.Above: No flash, metered on the wooden gate.
Above: An unmodified SB-900 hidden behind the gate, triggered by the pop-up flash on my D80. I don't know exactly how it works... but it did.
Above: For this shot, i added a snoot to the SB-900, aimed onto the tank on the motorcycle. Quite a nice effect on the bike... but i don't like the shadow on the wall behind it.
Above: I left the Sb-900 where it was, but upped the power slightly. I also added a Rim light or back light depending on your preference. i had problems positioning the second flash, because if i hid it from the camera's lens, it would not fire because it couldn't receive the signal from the flash. In the end i had to compromise and put the SB-800 directly behind the front wheel of the bike, which brought the detail up fine; just as i wanted... but gave an unsightly highlight just in front of the wheel.
The image on the left uses the SB-900 with the snoot. Great for the detail on the tank and the engine, but leaves a lot of the image quite dark... could be effective to the right person, but i didn't like it.
For the image on the right i placed the SB-800 on the floor (not ideal since the stand was missing and i also had no access to higher light stands) This added the extra detail that i wanted. The front wheel, the mirror, and the rear of the bike too are now more clearly visible.
Above: I practiced at first on a static subject, and then moved on to a moving subject... which proved a little harder. As before i used a light on the subject, slightly behind my shooting position, and another flash aimed at the wall to bring out some more detail.
Above: this is the image I'm not sure about. She could easily be floating on strings, or in this case jumping. In this case a shadow would help, just to add a bit of depth so the viewer can understand what is actually happening.
Above: Using a slower shutter speed, 1/50th if memory serves me correctly, meant i had a bit of motion blur which helped to show the dynamic movements of the dancer.